Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The naming

The process...
When she was born, her name was a surprise to everyone else but SuperDada and I. How we managed that, I don't know. But we did. We named her the week we found out she was a girl and the week after my grandmother died. We kept it a secret for the next five months.

My grandmother's name was Beverly.  When I was growing up, she was the closest thing to a mother I had.  When she died on August 9 it was rather unexpected since they had only discovered the cancer the week prior. They told us it was terminal, but no one expected her health to decline so rapidly. On the day of her funeral I learned that one of my genetic blood tests showed some abnormalities and the chances if my baby having down syndrome had increased. That week, we went in for an ultrasound to look for any markers, which, obviously, they didn't find. That same ultrasound tech told us what I already knew- that she was a girl. We talked about names for about a week and decided upon Bevin Jean.

The reasons (if it isn't obvious already)...
Bevin - to honor my grandmother, who was mostly called Bev by friends and relatives. I will never forget the impact my grandmother has had on my life. Her mothering of me is what has helped me become the mother I am today. After all, I didn't have a role model in my own mother. So, in honor of my loving grandmother, Bevin's family nickname is Bev.

Jean - my middle name and the middle name of my mother-in-law. It also is the middle name of my mother and my mother's mother, but I didn't give her my middle name in honor of them. They did not deserve that honor. My mother's mother was a terrible and unloving mother to her daughter. And the apple did not fall far from the tree when it came to my own mother. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, is amazing. I am lucky to have her, and I tell SuperDada that he is lucky he has her. He tells me "We can share her." So, we do.

The name that starts with the letter "B"
One thing that my grandmother and I shared that was really special was a name that started with the letter "B". Most of the jewelry she owned revolved around that one special initial. When Cole and I practice letters we always talk about Bevin's name starting with a "B".

Bevin and I also have the same initials (BJF). Growing up my grandmother and I also shared the same initials (BJS).  It was a connection that made me feel special. I hope my daughter does too.




2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, better than I suspected

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her name and the meaning behind it. So special.

    ReplyDelete