Monday, April 29, 2013

Currently we are dreaming about hiking season

We went for our first real hike of the season a few weekends ago. We hiked to Bonticou Crag. For those of you who are unfamiliar it is a small summit that can be reached via a very steep rock scramble or a roundabout ascent up some gnarly foot trails. Friends, this is 6 mile round trip hike. And Cole rocked that shit. He hiked on his own most of the way, complained very little and only asked to be carried on the last leg of the hike back to the car. The next weekend we went to our favorite waterfall in the Gunks- Split Rock. We went on an easy hike, and Keith took some awesome pictures - a great family portrait and a few beautiful pictures of Cole. I loved the family portrait so much that Randalin made it my about picture and Keith had it made into a metallic print that we mounted on our living room wall. It was definitely a perfect birthday present. Oh yeah- currently? I'm no longer 35. Normally growing older doesn't bother me, but 4 years from 40? That's a little hard for me to digest.

So, we are now dreaming up all of the awesome hikes we're going to take from now through September. We have been hiking with Cole since he was a wee lad, and though he may not remember much of it, his leg muscles certainly do. He was such a good hiker that he told us to go ahead of him so he could hike on his own. He listened to our direction most of the time and talked and talked. He had our full attention since Bevin slept through each hike. The cutest part about the hikes was when he would take his imaginary whistle out of his hat and "whistle" (by placing two fingers in his mouth) to let Keith know he wanted him to slow down.

Currently we are eating the meals from a weekly menu that I have been creating. We found that we were spending so much and were so discombobulated when winging it. I mean who wouldn't get stressed if you were deciding what's for dinner right before dinner time or that morning. We've been consistently making the weekly menu for about a month now, and I can't imagine our lives without it. It has been so helpful in terms of less money spent and less food wasted. And each day we are not scrambling and stressing about what's for dinner. It's not a perfect system though. Monday night Keith realized we didn't have lentils. When making the shopping list I had forgotten to check for them. Ooops!! Luckily we have awesome neighbors. If not, I totally would have been in the doghouse.

We are drinking tea from the bag and cold pressed coffee. I bought several boxes of my favorite black tea (tazo) during our last Target shopping trip so that has been my treat every morning. Keith decided it would be a good idea to make cold pressed coffee since the weather is nicer and the cold pressed coffee is less acidic. It's definitely yummy and a little easier on my tummy if I have a cup. But I prefer my tea. I'll never forget my first trimester of pregnancy with Bevin when my favorite tea tasted like water from an ash tray and I thought I might never be able to drink it again.

We are wishing we had time for all the things we'd like to do to make our house more organized and operate more efficiently. For instance, it was taking forever to find a simple serving spoon in our large utensil drawer. I realized we had something like 4 spatulas and when we took the silicone off the spatula handle found it was full of mold! Gross! In the garbage they went. Now we have one spatula and don't have to dig around looking for others.

We are loving what we have done for the house so far. One productive morning I reorganized two hall closets and got rid of curtains, blankets, and towels we haven't used for years. I may not have finished the book Clutter's Last Stand, but the main idea (that storing stuff you don't everuse -but might someday- wastes money and energy) has totally stuck with me.
Also, Keith hung a wall mounted coat rack at Cole's level so that our little man can hang up his own coats and jackets on his own. Because when your toddler discards his coat in the middle of the kitchen floor and tells YOU to hang it up, you know it's time he learns to do it on his own. Finally, after I asked Keith to get me some hooks and hang them in our room to hold all of my beloved baby carriers he made me my very own baby carrier holder. So beautiful yet so simple.

Cole is currently...
Enjoying (I wouldn't say loving) the Aveeno oatmeal baths I've been giving him this week. It's a nice change from the norm for him so he's more agreeable to bathtime. The real reason he's been bathing in the Aveeno is because he has a strange rash that, according to the doctor is nothing for us to worry about.

Cole is currently wishing he could put his diaper back on, but we've been daytime potty training since Friday and there is no going back. I don't want to say more because you know what happens when you tell the Internet something...

Cole is dreaming of returning to Duck Pond, a hike he's gone on before (but in carriers), but didn't remember. It's a short hike -about two miles (out and back)- and the destination is well worth some of the thigh burning ascent. Cole was in this Zen- like state the entire time we were at the pond. We stayed a while and Cole found so much peace in just pushing a stick back and forth across the water. When it was time to leave he said "I don't want to go home. I want to stay here forever and ever and ever."






No comments:

Post a Comment