Friday, December 9, 2011

The word "family" becomes more meaningful

Cole said a new word last week: Family. And he coupled it with a verb: Miss. He also said "Grammy. Miss." And "Papa Joe. Miss." While looking at Papa Joe's picture in a family collage his teacher had made him a few weeks back, he kissed it. All of these words and gestures helped me to realize just how loving my child is. And it made me yearn to live closer to both my family and Keith's family. As it stands now, we live an hour from Keith's immediate and extended family and 2 hours away from my immediate family (2.5 to 3 depending on traffic). We would have looked for a house closer to Keith's family, but at the time we were looking we were priced out of Dutchess County. And now? Now, we love the area in which we live (hello? who wouldn't love being 10 minutes from some of the most beautiful mountains in the state?), and we can't imagine moving to Dutchess County, even if we could afford it. That being said, I think that Cole still deserves to see his family more often than on major holidays. I think my resolution for the coming year is going to be this: make more of an effort to connect with family so Cole can get to know them as he grows up. One of the things I have done to help keep that resolution is signing up for
Skype. My father and Cole and I have skyped twice so far this week. And one of those times, my grandmother even got in on the action. Super cool for Cole!

Here are some pictures from our two Thanksgivings - the first one was at Keith's grandmother's house, and the second was at my father's house.

Grammy and Cole

Mama and Cole

Turns out that running down this hall...

...is a family tradition

Cole surveys the crowd

Cole's favorite position

Cole and Papa Joe

Cole on his retro car

Watching the birds and the planes



No comments:

Post a Comment