Friday, July 22, 2011

Our camping weekend extravaganza (complete with funny lists and cute pictures)

Okay I lied. After I published the previous post, I realized two things. I have too many pictures for just two parts, and there were more topics I had wanted to write about - namely: camping with a toddler. I'd love to give you tips, but since this is only my first time, I don't consider myself an expert by any means.  So here are a few lists of things we learned along the way...

Things we forgot that would have been EXTREMELY helpful:
1) Bibs (even 1 bib would have been nice, but no, we brought none)
2) Stroller netting (This is funny because we bought it last year for the car seat and used it all of one time.)
3) S'mores (What kid wouldn't love himself a roasted marshmallow?!)

Things we did not need, but brought anyway:
1) Cole's float (What made us think we'd put a pool float into a mountain lake is beyond me.)
2) Alarm clock (We brought this stupid device because we thought we would need the sound machine to help Cole stay asleep. The only thing this clock did was wake us up at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Totally not necessary).
3) Cole's moo milk. (The 20 oz. of milk we brought in our double insulated Klean Kanteen went bad in 24 hours. We used about 3 oz of it and even then, Cole wasn't that interested in it.)
4) An extra tent (We thought Cole might need his own tent to nap in. Who were we kidding???!!)
5) An extra carrier (I brought the Beco Butterfly II for some weird reason I can't even remember. Needless to say, it never even saw the outside of the Thule roof box.)

Things that came in handy for camping with a toddler:
1) Formula. (Like I said, I mostly breastfed him, but when I got tired of that, a little ready-to-use formula went a looong way and it didn't go bad either!)
2) The Happy Baby yogurt melts. (I gave this to Cole after the trip up  Little Whiteface. He was upset because it turned out, he was hungry! The banana mango melts were just what he needed to smile.)
3) The inflatable tub (Cole took two baths in it and had a blast the second bath. See below.)
4) The ultimate diaper bag (Fisher Price makes the best bag - whoda thunk it?)
5) The Pack 'n Play (He didn't sleep in it, or stay in it for too long, but when mommy needed a break from chasing him around, I placed him in there so I could recharge.)
6) Lots of books, toys, and hats everywhere for easy access (or so we told ourselves).
7) Duct tape (We taped together our therma-rests so that Cole wouldn't wind up on the ground like he probably did the first night)
8) The Chicco Cortina stroller (this was a sleep aid and high chair rolled into one)

Without further adieu....

The sign for the Loj

The electric fence around the garbage containers for campers

Loving the Ergo!

The view of Heart Lake during our "hike" around it

Heading up the trail with a sleeping Cole

Finishing the trail in a beautiful green field with a sleeping Cole.

Cole walks the site with his plastic shovel and rake

Cole discards the shovel in favor of a stick

Cole contemplates life

Cole investigates the eco-system of a tree stump

Cole at meal time

Cole taking an early nap (we paid for THAT later) 

Cole trying to escape the ring sling

The kitchen at dinner time

First bath outside
To be continued at some point in the next day or two....

3 comments:

  1. These lists are super helpful!!! We're planning to go camping the first week of August and I've been panicking just thinking about what we need to pack! I love the idea of bringing the inflatable tub - a great way for him to cool off and get clean without having to chase him around at the lake! I can't wait to hear more about the trip :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally smiled when you wrote that you brought an extra tent for Cole's naps. Looks like you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. John will thank you for this: you made camping sound like fun! I am most decidedly too urban to even attempt it, and I told John the only way I would go was if he bought a huge RV that was like a little house on wheels. He and the boys could sleep in the woods and I would have my RV. For the first time, I can see how it would be adventure-like and sort of fun!

    ReplyDelete