Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm a Babycarrier Addict

I know addiction is not something to joke about. But I do have a problem.

I have nine baby carriers, four of which we use on a fairly regular basis. Lo and behold, we went to Allison and Shawn's house this weekend and I discovered what all the rage is about with the Ergo carrier. Allison has one for Juni, and so I tried it with Cole because he was getting really cranky. This carrier was super comfortable! It didn't hurt my back like the Beco often does. Now, mind you, I had tried this carrier when Cole was 2 weeks old. But because we wanted to wear the carrier while Cole was still a newborn, we decided against it because the infant insert was basically a small quilt. The Beco infant insert was made of canvas and not as stifling as the Ergo infant insert would have been. (You have to remember that Cole was born in late May). So that is why we chose the Beco. While I am happy with the two Beco carriers we own, I feel like Sunday's brief experience with the Ergo was enlightening. I was able to wear Cole much higher above the hip (the cinch was much easier), and the shoulders were nice and padded. He also felt more secure and closer to my chest.

I've watched a few auctions on eBay and I'm noticing that most used Ergos are going for around $70, which is kind of ridiculous if you think about the retail price for a new one: $115. There are even a few sellers on eBay who are selling it new for $100. But I feel like I have too many carriers to justify buying a brand new one.  This is why I want to borrow one from someone for the summer, when I will use it most. I'm putting a call on Facebook to see if anyone is willing to loan one to me for the summer.

Here is Cole and I in the Ergo at Allishawn's:

2 comments:

  1. If I would have known! John put mine in a bin to go to a consignment shop this past week and they only gave him $25 for it. I was about to buy a Beco or now another Ergo. Mine didn't get used much because Zach is heavy and it started to hurt my lower and upper back, so he assumed I was done with it. I really could kill him, so now the money I was gonna spend on motorcycle accessories for him is going to replace it. But if I knew we were getting rid of it, I might as well have sent it to you. Mine was the tan/ camel colored one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try an Ergo too! I think the Beco was great for when they were small, but the Ergo looks like it provides better support and is more comfortable for this age. There are some places that do trials for different carriers. Here's one: http://www.heavenlyhold.com/item_730/ERGO-Sport-Baby-Carrier-TRIAL.htm

    ReplyDelete