Sunday, November 10, 2013

Say a little prayer

Currently Mama is...

praying for my friend Heather who is scheduled for a double masectomy tomorrow. This 36-year-old mother of two has got cancer in both breasts and my prayers are that when they take off those boobies they take all of the cancer with them. Please join me in praying for this beautiful and sarcastic woman. While you're here, click on her name and check out her new blog. She started it as a way to share her message that if you can (not pregnant or breastfeeding) and haven't, please get a mammogram. But she's also been using it as a way to express herself through this clearly emotional time. Heather is a writer by profession (that's how I met her - at our famed "community" newspaper!) but even if she wasn't the blog would be awesome.  You'll be amazed at her ability to keep her sense of humor in tact while standing in the face of something so scary. My heart goes out to her and my thoughts and prayers will be with her tomorrow.

reading (listening to) In Defense of Food by Micheal Pollan and it is changing my outlook once again on food. I've been eating too many cold cuts lately, and realize I'm probably slowly poisoning myself in the process, so we've switched to cooking a breast of poultry (chicken or turkey) on the weekends and eating it throughout the week. We've also resolved to grow a better garden next summer and really focus our energies on tending to it. We'd love to do a full share (we do a half share now) with our CSA and freeze the extra goodies (I mean it's an organic farm for crying out loud!) but it's super expensive and we are super broke right now! So this was what Keith came up with as a compromise when I came home from work having listened to his recommendations and was all "We've got to get a dedicated freezer and do a full share next year!" This is also in light of the sad news that there will no longer be a winter farm market at our community center this year.

proud of my husband for standing by his principles and not taking work from the aforementioned "community" newspaper we used to work for. This newspaper was recently bought out by a new company and they fired the entire photo staff a month later. Consequently, they are filling their pages with work done by freelancers so of course Keith was on their list. But Keith is not one to profit off of someone else's loss. These guys were (and two still are) friends of ours. One of them photographed our wedding. So when they called Keith he was all "Nah, not interested" and they got the point pretty quickly.

(was) going to complain about my commute and everything I hate about it, but what's the point? All I'll say is that when I finally drive into my beautiful town, I realize why it's worth driving so far. That and I don't ever have to have supermarket parent conferences. Nuff said.

grateful for my students this year. They have driven home my decision to transfer to the high school. They are awesome kids and, most of the time, they truly brighten my day. After my "magic" class from a few years ago, I didn't think I'd have that connection with students for quite some time. So imagine my surprise when it came this year with not one class but multiple classes. I keep trying to think "What's different about me?" And I think it is this: I am a different person than I was two years ago.  Having two children and being married for 7 years will do that to a person. I think I am a better version of myself.

Cole is…
way into block stacking, building houses, robots, cars and rocketships. He also tries his hand at sky scrapers.







Bevin is…. following in Cole's footsteps and is way into knocking his blocks down.


Cole is also way into coloring, drawing and making collages. He is on his second sketchbook at his pre-school. He colors in coloring books and practices free drawing in his sketchbooks. He can stay very focused on his art. He's truly living up to his namesake (Hudson River painter Thomas Cole)...

His first (discernible) monster...


Bevin is cruising along shelves and small table tops. Just last week during an open house at Cole's pre-school, she pulled herself up onto a stand with no help and balanced by herself for a few seconds before plopping back down. She was so proud of herself. Here's her "Just doin' my thang" bookshelf lean...













No comments:

Post a Comment