Friday, November 22, 2013

It's the little things

The children are my saving grace. When I've had a lousy day and I pull into the garage to have Cole run to my car so excited that he can't wait to tell me in his sweet little voice "Mommy, I have a towel rack now!" it makes my worries disappear for the moment and makes me realize who and what is most important in life. Not the people I work with (students, teachers, and administrators) but the people I love. My little family brings me such joy. 

This morning at 2:30 for instance, Bevin woke up and was awake, though still clearly tired. I think she really wanted to be awake and hang out and play but was willing to be persuaded back to sleep. So I did just that. After trying to stand up and crawl around I laid her down next to me and rubbed her soft little face while she smiled in pleasure. She eventually closed her eyes and fell back to sleep.  It was a sweet mama -baby moment. 

This weekend we went food shopping at Adam's and on our way home we stopped at the Co-op for some quinoa in bulk and also rice milk, two things Adam's doesn't carry. Bevin was asleep in her car seat so Cole opted to come in with me. After we got the quinoa we stopped at the end cap of the two main aisles that exist in the small building. The end cap was full of teas and I wanted to see if they had the particular nursing tea I liked. Cole spotted a nighttime tea he wanted but it was clearly marked - not for children. I looked on the shelves and discovered that Traditional Medicinals actually made an organic night time tea for kids. We had hit the jack pot. We paid for it and Cole was so proud of his tea that he walked out of there with his head held high, the tea in the crook of his arm and his hand over the box waving happily. "I got a tea that's just for kids, Daddy," he reported to Keith when we arrived to the car. He was so proud of his find he held it in his hands the entire drive home and tore it open as soon as we reached the kitchen. And, he declared, it was "yummy!"

And have I told you the greeting I get from Bevin every afternoon when I get he? She squeezes her hands together in fists plunges them up and down and screams at the top of her lungs. 

This is what a scream looks like on her face....

No comments:

Post a Comment