Sunday, May 13, 2012

So what?

I just wrote a very educated, theoretical post about this ridiculous cover. I managed to exclude all expletives and covered all my bases on why I thought this picture was creating so much controversy and what we should do instead of giving into toxic opinions that only cause more division in this country. I also asked some very good questions. But, much as I love my iMac, with a simple stroke of my finger on the mouse, the page moved, and I lost MY ENTIRE POST. Usually, blogger saves my posts automatically, but for some reason, it didn't. And I'm all written out. Here's what I have to say on this asinine cover: Since mothers don't normally breastfeed a child who is standing on a chair, this cover is: Sensationalism at Its Best.
Believe me - I've worked in the field - I know.

I'll tell you instead what extended breastfeeding is:
Beautiful. NOT Disgusting (as some ignorant souls have mentioned on Facebook).
A way to connect and reconnect with your child. (not a way to ensure he has problems with breasts or sex -or some other stupid theory - for the rest of his life).
Perfectly normal in other parts of the world - except in this divisive and sometimes prudish country, despite our collective fascination with tits and ass. Thanks to the USA Today, who published a very informative piece on this very issue of what's normal.
A way to continue to nourish your child's developing brain and strengthen your child's immunity.

My kid can walk; he can talk; he can ask to nurse; he can even tell me he loves it. He's going to be two years old in two weeks. It has never seemed abnormal or shameful to me to continue to nurse him into toddlerhood. I don't think "it's about time" I stopped. And I feel no further need to defend my decision.

All that's left is this: I breastfeed my child. So what? What does it matter to anyone else but him?

2 comments:

  1. Bravo. My son weaned only about two months ago- he turned two in February. We may still be nursing if only it had not begun to hurt me physically to do so. He still asks for it sometimes: some say that's an indicator that I nursed him too long. Hogwash. I am glad that he fondly remembers our breastfeeding relationship, and equally sad to see him lose his babyhood and become a little boy.

    ReplyDelete