Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mama's Day

Up until I became a mother, I disliked Mother's Day for obvious reasons. I always wished I could call Mother's Day, Mafather's Day, since my father acted as both mother and father- doing the job of raising me with no help from my mother, who abandoned me when I was 4 years old.

Usually, though, I just celebrated my grandmother and hoped the day would go by quickly so that I didn't have to think about a mother who could care less about me. Now that I'm a mother myself I have stopped feeling sorry for myself and feel sorry ( only in the most superficial of ways) for my mother, who missed out on the amazing job of raising a child. When I had Cole I realized how selfish she must have been (and still is) to not want to be a part of my life. I always thought it was some deficiency of mine, but now I realize that the deficiency was hers.

Mama and Cole
This year and last year, I have actually looked forward to this day (for more obvious reasons). In fact, the entire weekend has become a celebration. One day we celebrate my mother-in-law and the other day we celebrate me! I'm lucky to have such an amazing mother-in-law. She is such a doting grandmother and a loving mother-in-law to me. I always told Keith that he was so lucky to have a mother like her (not that he didn't know it), but now I feel that that luck has extended to me. Not only did I marry an amazing man, but I got his awesome mother to boot.

Happy Mother's Day to Carolyn. And a happy Mother's Day to the other lovely mothers in my life: Fern and my grandmother. I love you all!



Gamma and Cole
Mama, Gamma, and Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment