Thursday, March 8, 2012

Our polite little tyrant

Ma, drive. (Can you believe he's starting to call me Ma? Already?)

This happens with he is in his car seat ready to go home from school.

Dada, get it.
He says this when he wants Dada to get something that is nearby but that he doesn't feel like picking up. Or it could be something that is out of his reach.

Dada, I want to drive.

He says this when he knows they are about to go out somewhere, like to story hour or to the store.

Mama, you clean.

He says this when I ask him to clean up the mess he has made from any number of meals.

Mama, hold this.

This usually is uttered when he doesn't feel like holding something anymore.

Mama, I want to color. Ma, crayons!

This is pretty obvious. We don't keep the crayons within his reach for obvious reasons: We kind of like the color our walls and furniture are already.

I want to get out! or I want to get out, please!

He usually says this when he's in the crib and doesn't want to go to sleep. He has started to learn how to climb out, but we tell him he's not allowed and he usually puts his feet back into the crib. He also says this when he's buckled into his booster seat (which is becoming rarer and rarer these days) and he wants desperately to get out, but we're still eating. We have taught him that the word "please" can sometimes help him get what he wants. I am sure that in life "please" doesn't always work, but coming from a toddler, it's freaking adorable. And it melts our hearts every time.

I want to go home.

When he's somewhere that he is done with, he will usually let us know.

Ma! Pick that up.

Cole said this to me once when we were coming in from his room, and I hadn't yet cleaned up our dinner plates. Like his father would, it was the first thing he noticed on his way into the dining room.

Dada, wake up.

These words are spoken every Saturday and Sunday morning.

Mama, draw a twinkle star.
He loves when I draw stars with crayons and with chalk. We've seen quite an improvement in the area of drawing with Cole after I consulted with day care. They said that they don't spend too long on coloring and when they do, there's always a task involved (i.e. draw the letter "L," draw a circle). So I started to come up with little projects like that and now he stays more focused on drawing for longer periods of time. He does occasionally still take his chalk or crayon and walk around the house innocently looking for a good place to express himself. Sometimes this involves his toddler chair, our clothes, or the dining room wall. Thank goodness this stuff washes out!
Dada, take a bath.

Cole says this whenever Yo Gabba Gabba is on. Dada puts the show on when the boys are home together and Dada needs to take his daily shower. So now WHENEVER we put the show on, Cole says this. It's an amusing association, to say the least.

Mama, lay (sounds like yay) down!

He said this to me this past weekend when Dada told Cole Mama was sick and needed to lay down. I hadn't yet laid down, so Cole gave me a direct order.

Mama, lay on the pillow (sounds like yay on the piyow).

He will say this when he lays on his pillow on the floor (with his blankie). He now wants me to join him in his daily floor laying activity.

Mama, rub a back.

When he lays down on the floor, he also likes me to rub his back.

Mama, blankie.

When he lays down on the floor he also likes his blankie on his back (before I rub his back).

I don't like it?! (sounds like yike)

It is the cutest thing to hear, and I have to get it on video because it sometimes sounds like a question, as if he's not sure why, but he also seems to be upset by it and then at the same time, he seems to know it for certain, which is why I also punctuated it with an exclamation point.

Mama, move.

Cole says this when I'm in his way.

Mama, get out.

This came out of his mouth the other day when I was poking around his wax-filled ear with my finger.

Dada, see you later.
Cole said this to Keith one morning before Keith took him to school. Keith's not sure why he said it (maybe because he didn't want to go school?), but it was funny enough to text to me.

Da, sit.

Cole says this to Dada when Dada can't sit still at dinnertime.

Ma, blueberries. (and after I give them to him): Thanks.

This kid. He now offers his gratitude freely after we give him something or do something for him that he wants. So. Freaking. Sweet.


"Mama, turn on Gabba Gabba!"
You can just tell he's a take-charge kind of guy

Sweet toothy smile as the polite little tyrant watches his favorite show.

Our little "chalkiest" - "Get me a paper towel, goddammit!" Noooo, he didn't say that. I swear.









3 comments:

  1. Don't forget such classics as:

    "The remotes up THERE!" while pointing to a high shelf or, "dada MOVE!" if you dare get in his way while he's watching gabba gabba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are pretty cute - particularly the shower/tv association. Kale associates my shower with pooping. How lovely.... We have quite the bossy pants around here as well, although it sounds like Cole has a few extra words that make him sound a tad more polite (i.e. Cole: Mama, lay on the pillow; Kale: Mama! Pillow! Lay down!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Randalin - now he makes the association with me too. I've never needed to shower while he watches this show, but if we're home alone and we're watching it and I get up for a second, he says: "Mama, take a shower!"

    ReplyDelete