Monday, April 14, 2014

Working far from home

Every day I have to remind myself why I like my job. I do this because it can get pretty discouraging when you travel so far to get to work only to have students misbehave and make my 3 year old look like a saint.

Pluses: students are awesomely funny and crack me up on the daily. 9th graders are even funnier than 7th graders. 
Exhibit A:
As class was ending a female student noted how good someone smelled really good. A male student who was sitting nearby commented: "Thanks, I just farted."

Exhibit B: I was really pissed about someone spraying the obnoxious body spray called Axe repeatedly in the classroom, and so the next day let it inspire a fun activity where students came up with product ads using persuasive appeals (something I've been teaching them since December). The catch was I gave them really embarrassing products like deodorant, anti gas medication, pimple medication, toilet paper, etc. They had a BLAST with it and came up with the best & funniest ads. When I return back to work next week (on spring break now) I'll photograph some of the best ones. 

Exhibit C: I was told by one of my students that I ruined her freshman year because her parents took away her phone when I called home (on several occasions) for her behavior. Then this past week she was bragging she got the iPhone 5s. But it wasn't an overt brag, it was more of a "I need a case for my new iPhone 5s, do you have one?!" Holds up phone for all to see. 


Minuses: 
Grading essays. 
Staying after work an hour every day. 
Coming home at the beginning of childrens' witching hour. 
Discovering that a student disrespected my classroom library:

Always a given: 
Coming home to these awesome people:




No comments:

Post a Comment