Sunday, November 6, 2011

All that glitters is silver (and has bangs)

I have silver hair. There I admitted it. I noticed a few strands near the top of my head maybe six months ago. At first I was appalled, flabbergasted. Then I realized - hey it's better to have silver hair than no hair, right? I let it go. Now, however, the silver hair is moving to the front. There's not that much of it, but now that I have bangs, you can notice it more. And just when I was thinking to myself - I'm never going to dye my hair again.

Oh yeah, and I now have bangs. It was Tuesday afternoon when I took the plunge  - and for real this time (not like in the summer when I wore my hair as bangs for a week and then pinned them back for the next 3 months). My heart fluttered as Brigette cut them off, and I knew there was no turning back. She cut them short. So short that it is now obvious (not like during the summer), and so short that if I try to pin them back (because yes, I've tried) it looks kind of weird. You may have first noticed them in my post about getting Cole to brush his teeth. Some of you posted that you liked them (thanks Andrea and Peg!) I've noticed over the past week that people either love my new "do" or they hate it.  Most people follow the rule "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." So they basically don't say a thing. It's as if there was no change in how I look whatsoever.  One work friend of mine said hello and then averted her eyes. Really? Do I look that bad to you that you can't even begin a conversation with me? I think some people worry I'm going to ask them what they think. Well, don't worry. The only person I will ever ask that is my husband. And you can see his reaction below.

The aftermath of the bangs
Tuesday night:
Me: Soooo, what do you think?
Keith: (hesitates) It looks different.

Wednesday morning:
Student 1: Mrs. Ferris, did you dye your hair?
Me: No!

Student 2: Mrs. Ferris, what did you DO to your hair?
Me: That is not the proper way to ask a person about their hair.
Student 2: Ok. Mrs. Ferris, you look so pretty. What did you do to your hair?
Me: Much better.

Student 3: I like your hair Mrs. Ferris. Did you get bangs?
Me: Yes, thank you.

Wednesday afternoon:
Male Co-worker: Did you do something different to your hair?
Me: Yes, I got bangs.
Male Co-worker: (silent)


3 comments:

  1. The various reactions cracked me up. As you probably remember, I had bangs most of my life until my late twenties. Change always feels good. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't changed my hairstyle much in 10 years for the sole reason that I cannot deal with people's reactions! I don't know why - it just makes me cringe! Especially in a work environment. So awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this totally reminds me of the time I got a perm. My hair is really wavy--not straight enough to wear straight without effort and not curly enough to wear curly without effort. So I thought I was making my life easier. All I got was, "Andrea, what did you do differently with your hair?" Me: "Oh, I got a perm". To which the response was always, "Oh." Really????

    I think it's adorable. Rock it out, sister!

    PS-I'e had these white hairs popping up everywhere. It's noticeable to others, too. I say rock that out, too. We've earned it.

    ReplyDelete